Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- UNESCO. Secteur de la communication et de l'information
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- UNESCO. Communication Sector
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Besides its staff at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, the Sector is currently represented in 27 UNESCO field offices (June 2009).
Functions, occupations and activities
Currently, the three principal strategic objectives of the Sector’s programmes are (as of June 2009):
- Promoting the free flow of ideas and universal access to information
- Promoting the expression of pluralism and cultural diversity in the media and world information networks
- Promoting access for all to ICTs.
Since the beginning of its existence, the Sector and its predecessors carried out a wide range of different activities and functions. For more details, please consult the authority records linked to its collections.
Mandates/sources of authority
The Sector in its present form (as of June 2009) consists of:
- the Communication Development Division
- the Division for Freedom of Expression, Democracy and Peace
- the Information Society Division.
It further provides the secretariats for two intergovernmental programmes: the International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC) and the Information for All Programme (IFAP).
Fur further information of theses and the former divisions and sections of the sector, please consult the authority records linked to its collections.