Type of entity
Authorized form of name
UNESCO. Division of the Study of Racial Questions
Parallel form(s) of name
- UNESCO. Division de l’étude des questions de race
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- UNESCO. Race Relations Division
- UNESCO. Race Division
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Prior to 1952, the structure of the Department of Social Science was not fixed. In 1950, after Dr. Alfred Métraux finished his work on the Fundamental Education project in the Marbial Valley in Haiti, he was to take up a position at headquarters in the Department of Social Sciences to lead UNESCO’s studies on racial questions. The administrative unit which he led had the title of Division of the Study of Racial Questions until the end of 1950. During 1950, the unit’s work was focused on the production and dissemination of a series of publications on race and the promotion of the 1950 Statement by experts on race problems. By the end of 1950, the Division’s activities were described as taking on the character of a Clearing House on race questions (Rapport, 1950). People with questions on the Statement were writing the Division for clarifications. The Division also made regular contributions to the UNESCO Radio programming and to the UNESCO Courier, and prepared for a special issue of the Social Sciences Bulletin. In 1951, studies on race were combined with other studies undertaken by the Department and Métraux became one of several programme specialists in a Division of Studies of Social Tensions. By 1952, the Department took on a more permanent structure and the unit became the Division of Applied Social Sciences.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
UNESCO. Department of Social Sciences (1948-1974)
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Type of relationship
UNESCO. Department of Social Sciences controls UNESCO. Division of the Study of Racial Questions
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Following RAD Rule 24.1A, authorized form of name comes from most prominent form of name appearing in archival sources.
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by AWT, entered upon review by Chief Archivist, 11-3-2016.
- [Memorandum to Social Science Staff from Robert C. Angell, Acting Director.] (16 May 1950). UNESCO Archives, AG 8 Central Registry Collection. File X07.55 SS Part II Programme, Budget & Organization of the Social Sciences Department.
- Métraux, Alfred. (1978). Itinéraires 1 (1935-1953). Ed. André-Marcel d’Ans. Payot : Paris. Disponible dans la Bibliothèque de l’UNESCO.
- « Procès-verbal de la reunion du Département des Sciences Sociales le vendredi, 28 avril 1950. » (1950). Archives de l’UNESCO, AG 8 Central Registry Collection, Dossier X07.55 SS Part II Programme, Budget & Organization of the Social Sciences Department.
- « Rapport sur les activités de la Division pour l’étude des questions de race de 1er Août au 30 septembre 1950. » (1950). Archives de l’UNESCO, AG 8 Central Registry Collection, Dossier X07.55 SS Part II Programme, Budget & Organization of the Social Sciences Department.
- “Social Sciences Department: Work Plan for first six months of 1951.” (1950). UNESCO Archives, AG 8 Central Registry Collection. File X07.55 SS Part III Programme, Budget & Organization of the Social Sciences Department.
- UNESCO Archives, Archive Group 6: Secretariat Documents, Staff Lists.