Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- UNESCO. Département de l'avancement de l'éducation
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
As part of a larger reorganization of the Secretariat, the Department for Advancement of Education (EDV) was created within the Education Sector in 1967, as approved in the 14 C/5 Programme and Budget. The Department was responsible for the study and general advancement of primary, secondary and higher education, with particular attention to the promotion of international co-operation through intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, through international conferences at ministerial level, and through selected studies on the status of education throughout the world. Special emphasis was to be given to the promotion of the right to education which included activities on the implementation of the Convention and Recommendation against Discrimination in Education, the access of girls and women to education, and the development of a programme in special education for handicapped children. Responsibility for educational programmes for refugees (UNRWA) and for training abroad, including administration of fellowship programme, was added the subsequent biennium. EDV oversaw cooperation with the International Bureau for Education (IBE) and the Institute for Lifelong Learning in Hamburg from 1969 to 1970. The IBE was administratively considered part of the Department from 1971 to 1972. Regional Offices in Santiago, Bangkok, and Dakar reported through the Department until 1971. The Department had responsibility for International Education Year and hosted the secretariat for the International Commission for Educational Development. EDV was dissolved when the sector was reorganized for the 1973-1974 biennium. The Department of Planning and Financing of Education inherited responsibility for activities on the right to education, international conferences on the ministerial level and development of educational policies. The Division of Training abroad moved to Department of Higher Education and Training of Educational Personnel.
The Department had the following units over time: Office of the Director (1967-1972), Division of Higher Education (1967-1968), Division of Studies and Information (1967-1968), Division of Equality of Access to Education (1967-1972), Division of Training Abroad (1968-1972), Special Unit – International Education Year (1969-1970), Division of Comparative Education (1969-1970), Division of Regional Programmes (1969-1971), Division of Study of Educational Policies (1971-1972), International Commission for Educational Development (1971-1972).
The Department was led by the following directors over time: L. Fernig (1967-1969), (Interim) S. Tanguiane (1970-1971), J. Knapp (1971-1972).
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
- UNESCO. (March 1979). Organization of the Unesco Secretariat since 1946. PRS.79/WS/47. Accessed online in UNESDOC 27/03/2013 : http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0003/000387/038731mb.pdf .
- UNESCO. (2 janvier 1970). Secteur de l’Education. ODG/DG/Memo 30.194. UNESCO Archives, AG 6 Secretariat Documents.
- UNESCO. General Conference, 14th Session. (1966). Draft Programme and Budget for 1967-1968. 14 C/5. UNESCO Archives, AG 4, General Conference Documents.
- UNESCO. General Conference, 15th Session. (1968). Draft Programme and budget for 1969-1970. 15 C/5. Accessed online in UNESDOC 27/03/2013: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0016/001601/160127eb.pdf
- UNESCO. General Conference, 16th Session. (1970). Draft Programme and Budget for 1971-1972. 16 C/5. Accessed online in UNESDOC 27/03/2013: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0016/001609/160943eb.pdf
- UNESCO. General Conference, 17th Session. (1972). Draft Programme and Budget for 1973-1974. 17 C/5. Accessed online in UNESDOC 27/03/2013: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0000/000016/001629eb.pdf
- UNESCO Archives, Archive Group 6: Secretariat Documents, Staff Lists.