Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Francesco Ruffini was born in Lessolo Canavese, Italy, in 1863. He was a teacher at Pavia and Genoa, before becoming professor in Turin, first in legal history, then in ecclesiastical law with a particular focus on religious freedom and freedom rights in general. From 1910 until 1913, he served as Rector of the University of Turin. He was appointed a Senator in 1914. From June 1916 until October 1917, he served as Minister of Education. A member of numerous learned societies, he was President of the Academy of Sciences of Turin from 1918 until 1922.
From 1922 until December 1925, Ruffini was a member of the International Committee on Intellectual Cooperation (ICIC). In 1925 he was among the signatories of an anti-fascist manifesto of intellectuals. From 1926 until 1930, Ruffini was a member of the Sub-Committee on Intellectual Rights at the International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation (IIIC), which worked on questions of scientific property. Ruffini died in 1934.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by Marie Caillot 28/10/2011. English version by Jan Stöckmann 12-08-2015.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1: boîte 20. IICI. A. III. 2. Commission nationale italienne de Coopération intellectuelle. (1929-1946). "Prima sessione tenuta nella R. Academia dei Lincei nei giorni 8-10 Aprile 1929", p. 20.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1: boîte 6. IICI. A. I. 42. Correspondance avec M. Ruffini, membre de la CICI. (1925-1934). 11 pièces.
- "Francesco Ruffini". Article Wikipédia. Retrieved from: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Ruffini Accessed 28 October 2011.
- Basdevant-Gaudemet, B. (2006). Eglise et Autorités : études d'histoire du droit canonique médieval. Limoges : Presses universitaire de Limoges. P. 52.
- Luchaire, J. (1965). Confession d’un Français moyen, t. 2. Florence : L. S. Olschki. P. 123-124.
- Renoliet, J.-J. (1999). L'UNESCO oubliée. La Société des Nations et la coopération intellectuelle (1919-1946). Paris : Publications de la Sorbonne. P. 26, 71-72, 184.
- Société des Nations (1927) Travaux de L’Institut International de Coopération Intellectuelle pendant l’année 1926, Paris.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1, IIIC name index cards