Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
"Born in 1941 in Copenhagen (Kingdom of Denmark), Erik Reitzel was a civil engineer. For many years, he was a professor at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts and the Technical University of Denmark. Erik Reitzel specialized in the study of minimizing structures, a crossroad between scientific and industrial research. He designed the Grande Arche de la Défense in Paris in 1983 and the Plateau du Louvre in 1987. Erik Reitzel’s Symbolic Globe is a spherical aluminum structure that is 12.8 m high with a diameter of 15m. It is a gift from the Kingdom of Denmark to UNESCO. Consisting of 10 000 rods and aluminum joints, the Globe has been exhibited at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris since 1995" (UNESCO Works of Art Collection database).
Among his publications, Reitzel published The Symbolic Globe (2006) and La Grande Arche: sur l'axe historique de Paris (2011). He was named a Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur in France in 1990.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
- ERI Erik Reitzel - Ingénieurs conseil. (2012). Profil. Accessed online 12/02/2012: http://www.eri.dk/profil.htm
- Erik Reitzel. (2010.) Wikipedia. Available from http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Reitzel. Accessed 16/02/2012.
- Reitzel, Erik. (2011). La Grande Arche: sur l'axe historique de Paris. Paris: Archibooks + Sautereau Editeur.
- Reitzel, Erik. (2006). The Symbolic Globe. Paris: UNESCO.
- UNESCO. (2012). Bokova pays tribute to the memory of Erik Reitzel. 14/02/2012. Accessed online 16/02/2012: http://www.unesco.org/new/en/culture/themes/single-view/news/bokova_pays_tribute_to_danish_artist_erik_reitzel/
- UNESCO. Works of Art and Special Projects Unit. (2012). REITZEL, Erik (1941 - 2012). Accessed online 16/02/2012 from the UNESCO Works of Art Collection database: http://www.unesco.org/artcollection/DetailAction.do?critere=AUTEUR&index=R&idOeuvre=2772&nouvelleLangue=en