International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia

Equivalent terms

International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia

Associated terms

International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia

423 archival descriptions results for International Campaign to Save the Monuments of Nubia

423 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

PHOTO0000003003

French transcription: Temple de Kartassi.
Description: The bare remains of the ancient Temple of Kartassi in Nubia, perched on a dry, cracked desert foundation.
Location: Kartassi (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003004

English transcription: The Aswan new High-Dam.
French transcription: Le nouveau Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: View of a façade of a dam, bathed in calm waters. Construction cranes are visible on its other side.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003005

English transcription: Aswan dam. View of the power station showing exterior of the generating hall.
French transcription: Barrage d'Assouan. Vue extérieure de la centrale électrique.
Description: Rooftop view of the exterior of the generating hall of the Aswan High Dam hydroelectric power station. Four people can be seen in the walkway below.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003006

English transcription: The temple of Kalabsha, which was dismantled and moved to a new site as part of the Federal German Republic's contribution to the preservation of the Nubian Monuments.
French transcription: Le Temple de Kalabsha qui a été démonté et reconstruit sur ce nouvel emplacement par la République Fédérale d'Allemagne au titre de sa contribution à la sauvegarde des Temples de Nubie.
Description: On a hilltop, a view of the walls of an ancient Roman temple. At the bottom of a sandy footpath leading up to the monument, a large signpost acknowledging the role of the Federal Republic of Germany in the saving of the temple from the rising waters of the new Aswan dam.
Location: Kalabsha (New), Nubia

PHOTO0000003007

English transcription: This temple was dedicated to the gods Amon-Ra and Ra-Harakhty and built by Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The colossus in front of the pylons representing the king could be moved to a museum.
French transcription: Temple consacré à Amon-Rê et Rê-Harakhti. Construit par Ramsès II (1290 - 1223 av. J.C.). Un colosse représentant le roi se dresse encore devant le pylône. Il est prévu de transporter le colosse dans un musée.
Description: A giant statue of King Rameses II on a façade of an ancient Egyptian temple, the foundation of which is bathed in water. A temple guardian is standing next to the statue.
Location: Wadi Es Sebu (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003008

English transcription: Campaign for the safeguard of the monuments of Nubia launched by UNESCO. Here, lifting a block above the main entrance of the temple of Derr.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Ici, levage d'un bloc au-dessus de l'entrée principale du temple de Derr.
Description: A number of workmen (all but one in white) are proppping up the entrance lintel of an ancient Egyptian temple with stones and pieces of wood. The left side of the portal features the head and shoulders of a Pharoah ; the top, Horus; and the right, indecipherable engravings.
Location: Derr (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003009

English transcription: Aniba (144 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - Recent excavations, directed by Professor Abou Bakr. The head of a mummy (child's head) found 65 cm beneath the ground in a New Kingdom burial ground (about 1200 B.C.).
French transcription: Aniba (230 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Au cours de fouilles récentes dirigées par le Professeur Abou Bakr. La tête d'une momie d'enfant fut trouvée à 65 cm au-dessous du sol dans une nécropole du Nouvel Empire (env. 1200 av. J.C.).
Description: A workman holding and displaying the mummified head of a child unearthed in an ancient Egyptian necropolis.
Location: Aniba (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003010

English transcription: Construction of the power plant at the Aswan High Dam.
French transcription: Construction de la centrale électrique du Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: View from a balcony walkway of electric power plant works. A giant crane dominates the skyline.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003011

English transcription: Construction of the power plant at the Aswan High Dam.
French transcription: Construction de la centrale du Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: Aerial view of the construction site of the Aswan Dam power plant. Five similar units can be seen, as well as many workmen, particularly on the top of the first.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003012

English transcription: The Aswan dam new power station outlets.
French transcription: Barrage d'Assouan les vannes de la nouvelle centrale.
Description: At the bottom of a hill - surmounted by 2 large and 2 small buildings, and a bus - are 4 power plant outlets on the Nile River.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003013

English transcription: The Kartassi Kiösk, a Roman temple moved from its original position to a new site overlooking the High Dam at Aswan. It stands alongside the Kalabsha Temple which has likewise been moved from its original site.
French transcription: Le Kiosque de Kertassi qui a été démonté et reconstruit sur ce nouvel emplacement qui domine le grand barrage d'Assouan. Ce temple romain voisine maintenant avec celui de Kalabsha qui a été également transporté ici.
Description: The roofless remains of an ancient Roman Temple, devoted to the Goddess Hathor. Mainly still to be seen are 4 standing columns, and 3 sculpted portraits of Hathor.
Location: Aswan (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003014

English transcription: Temple of Dendur, dedicated to two heroes drowned in the River Nile, who were later deified. This temple was later converted into a Christian chapel. The exterior walls are decorated with reliefs showing offering scenes.
French transcription: Le temple de Dendour, dédié à deux héros noyés dans le Nil et déifiés, fut construit par l'Empereur Auguste et converti par la suite en chapelle chrétienne. Les murs extérieurs sont couverts de reliefs représentant des scènes d'offrande.
Description: An exterior wall of the Temple of Dendur in its original location, partially submerged by Lake Nasser. The wall is decorated with carvings depicting offerings to Isis, Osiris, and 2 local, deified heroes. A portal is on the right.
Location: Dendur

PHOTO0000003015

English transcription: A view of the town.
French transcription: Une vue de la ville.
Description: An aerial view of the town of Aswan, seemingly being invaded by the desert, Looking up, are a walled off forest area, terraced gardens and, at the top, a mosque.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003016

English transcription: Wadi es Seboua (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - The temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti on the banks of the Nile, seen from the west. Built by Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The statues, sphinxes, reliefs, etc. could be moved to museums and the speos to a neighbouring oasis.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le temple d'Amon Rê et de Rê Harakhti au bord du Nil, vu de l'ouest. Construit par Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). On envisage de transporter les statues, sphinx, reliefs, etc. dans des musées.
Description: A partially ruined 2-pylon ancient Egyptian temple, situated directly on the Nile. A few people on the left are looking across the river, where can be seen a small water-side community, over which loom 3 mountain peaks. An unexplained series of bubbles seems to be issuing from inbetween the 2 pylons.
Location: Wadi es Seboua (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003017

English transcription: Construction of the power plant at the Aswan High Dam.
French transcription: Construction de la centrale du Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: An aerial view of a phase in the construction of the power plant of the Aswan High Dam. A giant crane dominates the scene, and at the top of the edifice, as well as at ground level, can be seen many tiny people at work. The Nile flows in the background.
Location: Aswan (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003018

English transcription: Amada (110 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Temple founded by Tuthmosis III and Amenophis II of the XVIIIth dynasty (1504-1425 BC). Inscriptions on this pillar in the hypostyle hall concern the lord of the Island of Biggeh. The temple could be moved to a neighbouring oasis.
French transcription: Amada (192 km sud d'Assouan, rive gauche). Temple fondé par Thoutmosis III et Aménophis II de la XVIIIe dynastie (1504-1425 av. J.C.). Inscriptions sur un pilier de la salle hypostyle faisant allusion au Seigneur de l'Ile de Biggeh. Il est prévu de transporter le temple dans une oasis voisine.
Description: Ancient Egyptian temple Inscription, elements of which seem to include an ankh, a snake and a vulture.
Location: Amada (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003019

English transcription: Temple of Amada (123 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - Foundation of the temple built by Thutmosis III. The hypostyle hall contains 12 pillars with reliefs from the time of Thutmosis IV who also added the portico. This temple will be removed to a nearby oasis.
French transcription: Temple d'Amada (192 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Fondation du temple par Thoutmosis III. Salle hypostyle de 12 piliers avec les cartouches de Thoutmosis IV qui ajouta le portique. Il est prévu de transporter le temple dans une oasis voisine.
Description: View of inscribed pillars in the hypostyle hall of the ancient Egyptian Temple of Amada. The God Horus is depicted as a falcon on the first pillar.
Location: Amada (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003020

English transcription: The Aswan new High-Dam.
French transcription: Le nouveau Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: Aerial view of a phase of the construction of the Aswan dam, with water to the right, 2 giant electric pylons and mountains to the back, and tiny workmen sprinkled throughout the scene.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003021

English transcription: Aniba (144 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Recent excavations, directed by Professor Abou Bekr. A mummy discovered 80 cm. beneath the ground in a Middle Kingdom burial place (about 2000 BC).
French transcription: Aniba (230 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Fouilles récentes dirigées par le Professeur Abou Bekr. Momie trouvée à 80 cm au-dessous du sol dans une nécropole du Moyen Empire (environ 2000 av. J.C.).
Description: An ancient Egyptian mummy found at the bottom of a an archaeological excavation.
Location: Aniba

PHOTO0000003022

English transcription: Gerf Hussein (56 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Temple of Ptah, built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). An Osirian colossus (8.50 meters high) in the pronaos, representing Rameses II. The statues from this temple could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Gerf Hussein (80km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche). Temple de Ptah construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.) - Colosse osiriaque (8m 50 de haut) du pronaos, représentant Ramsès II. On envisage le transfert des statues de ce temple dans un musée.
Description: Inside an ancient Egyptian temple, a spotlight lit Osirian colossus (8.50 meters high) representing Rameses II, arms crossed, holding Crook and Flail, the symbols of his divine authority and kingship.
Location: Gerf Hussein (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003024

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (Valley of the Lions). This temple was dedicated to the Gods Amon and Ra Harakhte by Rameses II (about 1250 B.C.), and is partly hollowed out in the rock and partly constructed on the surface. Leading to the sanctuary is an avenue of sphinxes (dromos) and on the pedestal of each are sculpted scenes depicting prisoners. Beside the entrance a statue of Rameses II.
French transcription: Ouadi-es-Seboua (Vallée des Lions). Temple dédié aux dieux Amon et Re Harakhti par le pharaon Ramsès II (environ 1250 avant J.C.) en partie creusé dans le roc en partie édifié en surface. Une allée de sphinx (dromos) sur le socle desquels sont sculptés des prisonniers conduit au sanctuaire. A côté de la porte d'entrée une statue de Ramsès II.
Description: Three crowned sphinxes in a row, followed by the entrance to a temple, watched over by a statue of Rameses II. The avenue in front of the sphinxes has been erased (by layers of invading sands?); the pedestals of the sphinxes are sculpted with symbols and personnages; and 2 sculpted warriors are guarding the temple entrance.
Location: Wadi es Sebui (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003025

English transcription: This temple was constructed in the Valley of the Lions by Rameses II (about 1250 B.C.) in honour of the gods Amon Ra and Ra Harmakhis. The back of the temple is hollowed out in the rock. In the foreground, the king's statue and a dromos of sphinxes which have giver the place its Arabic name.
French transcription: Temple construit dans la Vallée des Lions par le pharaon Ramsès II (environ 1250 avant J.C.) en l'honneur des dieux Amon Rê et Rê Harmakhis. La partie arrière a été creuséé dans le rocher. Devant le temple, la statue du roi et un dromos de sphinx qui ont donné le nom arabe à l'endroit.
Description: Photograph showing Wadi es-Sebua, or Valley of the Lions (so-called because of the sphinx-lined approach to the temple forecourts). In the foreground, the king's statue (Rameses II) and a dromos of sphinxes.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003026

English transcription: One of the tombs of the Princes of Elephantine, cut in the cliff above the Island of Elephantine at Aswan.
French transcription: L'une des tombes des Princes de l'Ile Eléphantine, taillés dans la falaise au-dessus de l'ile.
Description: A tomb ensemble - all interior spaces apparently opened - cut into the rock face of a cliff.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003028

English transcription: International campaign for the safeguarding of the Nubian monuments, launched by UNESCO. Here, the temple of Kalabsha which was dismantled and moved to a new site.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Ici, le temple de Kalabsha qui a été démonté et reconstruit sur ce nouvel emplacement.
Description: Ancient Egyptian Temple of Kalabsha, here relocated to a new site in Nubia to protect it from the rising waters of the Aswan High-Dam.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003029

English transcription: Greco-Roman temple, the most important in Nubia after those of Abu Simbel, built in the time of Augustus on an edifice of the 15th century B.C.
Description: The long, rectangular remains of an ancient Egyptian temple, its wall mostly bathed in the waters of the Nile. The village of Kalabsha is spread out on the hill behind the temple.
Location: Kalabsha (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003030

French transcription: Temple gréco-romain, le plus considérable de la Nubie après ceux d'Abou Simbel, construit à l'époque d'Auguste sur un édifice du XV siècle avant J.C.
Description: The remains of the entryway of an ancient Egyptian temple, now being encroached upon by the waters of the Nile.
Location: Kalabsha (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003031

French transcription: Cité byzantine en ruines - une ruelle.
Description: A narrow, rock strewn covered alley in the ruins of the ancient Byzantine city of Ikmindi.
Location: Ikmindi (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003032

French transcription: Session d'experts internationaux sur la Protection des monuments nubiens menacés de disparaître sous les eaux du barrage de Saad el Aali. Sur la photo M. William C. Hayes Conservateur en chef des Antiquités égyptiennes du Musée métropolitain de New York examinant l'un des murs du tombeau de Pennout haut dignitaire de Ramsès VI (XXe Dynastie).
Description: Indoors, a gentleman in shirtsleeves is examining the spotlighted wall of an ancient Egyptian tomb, and its elaborate religious iconography and inscriptions.
Location: Aniba, near to (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003033

French transcription: Carrière de Kartassi. Cette importante carrière où les inscriptions grecques - la plupart du temps d'Antonin, de Marc Aurèle et de Sévère - sont nombreuses, a fourni à une certaine époque, les matériaux de construction des temples de Philae. Elle est taillée en amphithéâtre et une niche flanquée de deux bustes en haut-relief donne à ce site son caractère de ruine antique.
Description: Kartassi career. This important career where the Greek inscriptions - mostly of Antoninus, Marcus Aurelius and Severus - are numerous, provided at one time, the building materials of the temples of Philae. It is cut in an amphitheater and a niche flanked by two busts in high relief gives this site its character of ancient ruin.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003034

English transcription: International campaign to save the monuments of Nubia, launched by UNESCO. Reliefs in the re-erected Egypto-Roman temple of Kalabsha, overlooking the High Dam.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Reliefs du temple égypto-romain de Kalabsha démonté et remonté sur son nouveau site près du Haut-Barrage d'Assouan.
Description: A relief in the Temple of Kalabsha, depicting Isis and Horus. Both - with right arms exrended - are looking left.
Location: Aswan/former Kalabsha

PHOTO0000003035

English transcription: The city of Ibrim on the right bank of the Nile.
French transcription: La Cité d'Ibrim sur la rive droite du Nil.
Description: A view of the ancient city of Ibrim, here of the doors/windows of dwellings carved into the rock face of a cliff.
Location: Ibrim (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003036

English transcription: Aswan. Entrance to the nilometer on Elephantine Island.
French transcription: Assouan. Entrée du Nilomètre de l'Ile Eléphantine.
Description: At water level, an ancient brick wall with a framed entrance, leading to the historic Nilometer.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003037

English transcription: Aswan. Ruins of the city on the ancient Elephantine Island.
French transcription: Assouan. Ruines de la ville de l'ancienne Ile Éléphantine.
Description: The ruins and rubble of the ancient temples and dwellings of Elephantine Island, home of the historic Nilometer.
Location: Aswan/Elephantine Island

PHOTO0000003038

English transcription: Amada - Temple founded by Tuthmosis III and Amenophis II of the XVIIIth dynasty (1504-1425 B.C.) - Exterior view. The temple could be moved to a neighbouring oasis.
French transcription: Amada (192 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Temple fondé par Thoutmosis III et Aménophis II de la XVIIIe dynastie (1504-1425 av. J.C.) - Vue extérieure - Il est prévu de transporter le temple dans une oasis voisine.
Description: In a desertic landscape, the facade of the ancient Temple of Amada, reinforced in places by metal grills, and surrounded by a metal fence.
Location: Amada (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003039

English transcription: View of the granite quarries at Aswan, showing method used for cutting the rock.
French transcription: Vue des carrières de granit à Assouan, montrant la méthode employée pour tailler le roc.
Description: View of the ancient granite quarry in Aswan, Egypt.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003040

English transcription: The headquarters of the German archaeological expedition which is at the moment excavating in the region.
French transcription: Le quartier général de la mission archéologique allemande qui procède à l'heure actuelle à des fouilles dans cette région.
Description: A desertic, hilly landscape and a treey oasis on the Nile, occupied by an encampment of 7 tents (3 gray, 4 white).
Location: Amada (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003041

French transcription: Carrière de Kartassi. Cette importante carrière où les inscriptions grecques - la plupart du temps d'Antonin, de Marc Aurèle et de Sévère - sont nombreuses, a fourni à une certaine époque, les matériaux de construction des temples de Philae. Elle est taillée en amphithéâtre et une niche flanquée de deux bustes en haut-relief donne à ce site son caractère de ruine antique.
Description: A façade of the stone quarry of Kartassi. A doorway at the centre of the picture is flanked, at the top, by 2 recessed busts, and at bottom - by several other quite damaged figurines and carvings. The walls of the façade are covered with chiseled - mainly Greek - inscriptions.
Location: Kartassi (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003042

English transcription: Quarry at Kartassi. This important quarry, bearing many Greek inscriptions - mostly from the times of Antonius, Marcus Aurelius and Severius - at one time provided the construction materials for the temples of Philae. It is in the shape of an amphitheatre and a niche, with a bust in haut-relief on either side, adds to its character.
Description: Quarry at Kartassi in Nubia, Egypt.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003043

English transcription: The Kertassi Temple on its new site.
French transcription: Le temple de Kertassi sur son nouveau site.
Description: Removed from the path of the rising Aswan Dam works, the remains (4 columns dedicated to Hathor) of the ancient Egyptian temple of Kertassi on its new site, overlooking the far below Nile (with sailboat). Workmen are in the shade of the columns, and their belongings (a chair, ladder, tools) are in front of an entrance to a stone tool shed.
Location: New Kalabsha (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003044

English transcription: International campaign for the safeguarding of the Nubian monuments, launched by UNESCO. Here, the temple of Kalabsha which was dismantled and moved to a new site.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Ici, le temple de Kalabsha qui a été démonté et reconstruit sur ce nouvel emplacement.
Description: A view down the interior length of a sunlit peristyle of the Temple of Kalabsha.
Location: New Kalabsha (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003045

English transcription: Prehistoric rock drawings, dating from approximately 7.000 B.C., near the Temple of Wadi es Sebui. The outlines of giraffes, ostriches, etc., are clearly visible.
French transcription: Dessins rupestres de l'époque préhistorique (7.000 ans avant J.C. approximativement). Dans le rocher à côté du temple, on voit clairement des dessins de girafes, d'autruches, etc.
Description: A large rock outcropping, profusely etched/inscribed with overlapping images of a large varietyof animals.
Location: Wadi es Sebui

PHOTO0000003046

English transcription: Entrance to the Nilometer showing modern recordings of levels of the Nile.
French transcription: Entrée du Nilomètre montrant les enregistrements modernes des niveaux du Nil.
Description: Inside the entrance to the Nilometre stone steps leading upwards, flanked on the left by 2 engraved tablets of highwater markings.
Location: Aswan/Elephantine Island

PHOTO0000003047

English transcription: Inscriptions left by travellers of the Middle Kingdom period on the 'Offerings Rock' at the head of the ancient Nubian Highway.
French transcription: Inscriptions laissées par des voyageurs du Moyen Empire sur le 'Rocher des Offrandes', au départ de la route de l'ancienne Nubie.
Description: A looming rockface - and large upfront boulder - covered mainly with Egyptian hieroglyphic inscriptions.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003048

English transcription: Looking upwards along the Nilometer on Elephantine Island, from the river entrance to that on land. On the left of the picture can be seen modern records of Nile water levels. Also engraved in the stone are Pharaonic recordings, but these are now barely visible.
French transcription: Nilomètre de l'Ile Eléphantine, pris de l'entrée sur la rivière. A gauche, enregistrements modernes des niveaux du Nil. Des enregistrements du temps des Pharaons sont également gravés dans la pierre, mais ils sont à peine visibles.
Description: A long, heavily worn stone staircase leading up to a sunlit alley, where a white clad man seems to be lookng at the photographer. The left wall of the staircase is deeply etched with tablets for recording changing water levels of the Nile.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003049

English transcription: Headquarters of the American Research Centre's Expedition. Left centre is an early Christian cemetery under excavation. The hills in the background are remnants of the original plateau through which the Nile cut its way; on them are many indications of palaeolithic man.
French transcription: Camp de l'expédition du Centre américain de recherche. Au centre, à gauche, un cimetière du début de l'ère chrétienne en cours de fouille. A l'arrière-plan, les restes du plateau primitif au travers duquel le Nil s'est forgé son chemin et sur lesquels on trouve des traces de l'homme paléolithique.
Description: Aerial view of the site of the American Research Centre's archaeological expedition at Gebel Adda. The dark cavities to the left are the excavations of an early Christian cemetery. An ancient course of the Nile ran through the cliffs in the background.
Location: Gebel Adda (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003050

English transcription: Aerial view - Fortress built by Sesostris III (XIX cent.B.C.). Nearby is the Pharaoh's palace to be excavated.
French transcription: Vue aérienne - Forteresse construite par Sésostris III (XIXe s. av. J.C.) Auprès de cette forteresse se trouve un Palais pharaonique non encore exploré.
Description: Aerial view of the remains of a fortress - built by Sesostris III - overlooking the Nile.
Location: Ouronarti (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003051

English transcription: Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti. Built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The sanctuary of the temple was made into a chapel in the Christian era. On the wall is a painting of an angel. The statues, sphinxes, and reliefs could be moved to museums and the speos to a neighbouring oasis.
French transcription: Temple d'Amon Rê et de Rê Harakhti, construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Le sanctuaire du temple fut transformé en chapelle à l'époque du christianisme. Peinture représentant un ange. On envisage de transporter les statues, reliefs, etc. dans des musées.
Description: A column of the temple of Wadi es Sebui. Egyptian hieroglyphs are at the top and, beneath it, is the portrait of a Christian saint.
Location: Wadi es Sebui (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003052

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank). The boat El Gutbi on the river Nile. On the left the crown of a sphinx now almost submerged.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le Nil et le bateau El Gutbi - A gauche la couronne d'un sphinx englouti par les eaux.
Description: Photograph showing the boat 'El Gutbi' on the river Nile. On the left, the crown of a sphinx, almost submerged.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003054

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). In front of the pylon at the left, a colossus representing Rameses II.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le temple d'Amon Rê et de Rê Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Devant la pylône à gauche, un colosse représentant Ramsès II.
Description: A picture of Wadi es-Sebua temple in Nubia in its original location.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003055

French transcription: Le temple, creusé en partie dans le roc, est de l'époque de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.), XIXe dynastie. Le pylône est précédé d'une allée de sphynx et flanqué de deux statues du roi. A l'époque chrétienne, des bas-reliefs ont été effacés pour faire place à des peintures et décorations chrétiennes. Sur la photo le sanctuaire. Peinture chrétienne représentant l'Apôtre Saint Pierre. Cette peinture a remplacé les statues des dieux auxquels on voit encore le roi Ramsès II offrant des fleurs. On voit aussi les échafaudages construits en vue des travaux de relevés exécutés par le Centre de documentation sur l'histoire et l'art de l'Ancienne Egypte au Caire.
Description: A picture with a Christian painting representing the Apostle Saint Peter in the temple Wadi es Sebui.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003056

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank). General view of the site and temple. It is hoped that the statues, sphinxes and paintings can be removed to museums.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Vue générale du site et du temple. Il est prévu de transporter les statues, sphinx, reliefs, etc. dans des musées.
Description: General view of the site and temple of Wadi es Sebui in its original location. The water is near the temple's entrance.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003057

English transcription: Temple of Ptah, built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The head of a colossus from the north side of the portico. The statues from this temple could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Temple de Ptah, construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Tête du colosse du côté nord du portique. On envisage de transporter les statues de ce temple dans un musées.
Description: The head of a statue of Pharaoh Rameses II.
Location: Gerf Hussein (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003058

English transcription: Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). Low-relief on the west wall of the sanctuary, representing Rameses II.
French transcription: Le temple d'Amon Rê et de Rê Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Bas-relief sur le mur ouest du sanctuaire, représentant Ramsès II.
Description: A low-relief sculpture of Pharaoh Rameses II, seated on a throne.
Location: Wadi es Sebui (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003059

English transcription: Campaign for the safeguard of the monuments of Nubia, launched by UNESCO. Here, blocks of the Temple of Gerf Hussein are loaded on barges.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Ici, des blocs démontés du temple de Gerf Hussein sont chargés sur des péniches.
Description: Workers loading wrapped blocks of temple stone into the hold of a barge.
Location: Gerf Hussein (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003060

English transcription: Gerf Hussein (56 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - Temple of Ptah, built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). An Osirian colossus (8.50 meters high) in the pronaos, representing Rameses II. The statues from this temple could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Gerf Hussein (90 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Temple de Ptah, construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). - Colosse osiriaque (8 m 50 de haut) du pronaos, représentant Ramsès II. On envisage le transfert des statues de ce temple dans un musée.
Description: Picture of an Osirian colossus (8.50 meters high) in the pronaos, representing Rameses II in the Nubian Gerf Hussein Temple.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003061

English transcription: Gerf Hussein (56 miles south of Aswan, left bank) - Temple of Ptah, built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). - Two Osirian colossi (8.50 meters high) in the pronaos, both representing Rameses II. The statues from this temple could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Gerf Hussein (90 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Temple de Ptah, construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). -Deux colosses osiriaques (8 m 50 de haut) représentant Ramsès II. On envisage le transfert des statues de ce temple dans un musée.
Description: Photograph showing two Osirian colossi (8.50 meters high) in the pronaos, both representing Rameses II at temple of Ptah.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003062

English transcription: Gerf Hussein (56 miles south of Aswan, left bank). A statue of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.) in the court of the temple of Ptah. This statue could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Gerf Hussein (90 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Statue royale de Ramsès II dans la cour du temple de Ptah (1290-1223 av. J.C.) - Il est prévu de transférer cette statue dans un musée.
Description: Photograph showing a statue of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.) in the court of the temple of Ptah.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003063

English transcription: Gerf Hussein (56 miles south of Aswan, left bank). This temple, seen from the Nile, was dedicated to the god Ptah, by Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). It is hewn into the rock except for the columns in front of the temple. Some of the reliefs will be removed to museums.
French transcription: Gerf Hussein (90 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - La temple de Ptah vu du Nil. Il date du règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Il est creusé dans le rocher à l'exception de l'avant-corps de la cour. Il est prévu que différents éléments seront détachés et replacés dans des musées.
Description: Photograph showing the temple of Gerf Hussein (Per Ptah, or House of Ptah) situated on a bank of the Nile south of Aswan, it was partly free-standing and partly cut from the rock.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003064

English transcription: Aswan. Elephantine Island. Granite rocks with inscriptions in the First Cataract.
French transcription: Assouan. Ile Elephantine. Inscriptions dans les rochers de la Première Cataracte.
Description: Hieroglyphic inscription on Aswan granite boulder, Elephantine Island, Aswan, Egypt.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003065

English transcription: Detail on the right entrance wall of the Beit El Wali Temple.
French transcription: Détail du mur d'entrée (à droite) du temple de Beit El Wali.
Description: Photograph of a wall relief at Beit el-Wali temple.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003066

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). A royal colossus in the courtyard of the temple and, at the left, a relief on the interior wall of the pylon (offering to Amon-Ra). The statues, sphinxes and reliefs could be removed to museums.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le temple d'Amon Rê et Rê-Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Colosse royal dans la cour du temple et, à gauche, relief sur le mur intérieur du pylône (Offrande à Amon-Rê). - On envisage de transporter les statues, sphinx, reliefs, dans des musées.
Description: Photograph of a royal colossus in the courtyard of the temple Wadi es Sebui and, at the left, a relief on the interior wall of the pylon.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003067

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The door of the Pronaos or entrance hall. This could be removed to the safety of a neighbouring oasis.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le temple d'Amon-Rê et Rê-Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). La porte du pronaos. On envisage de la transporter dans une oasis voisine.
Description: View of the entrance hall of the temple Wadi es Sebui.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003068

English transcription: Wadi es Sebui (94 miles south of Aswan, left bank). Temple of Amon-Ra and Ra-Horakhti built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). The fallen head of a colossus lies before the pylon of the temple. The statues, sphinxes and reliefs could be removed to a museum.
French transcription: Ouadi es Seboua (150 km au sud d'Assouan, rive gauche) - Le temple d'Amon-Rê et Rê-Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.) - Tête d'un colosse tombée devant le pylône du temple. On envisage de transporter les statues, sphinx, reliefs, dans des musées.
Description: Photograph showing the head of a colossus, Wadi es Sebui, Nubia.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003069

English transcription: The temple of Dakka submerged by the waters of the Nile.
French transcription: Le temple de Dakka inondé par les eaux du Nil.
Description: Photograph of the temple of Dakka submerged by the waters of the Nile.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003070

English transcription: Dakka. Detail from the stile of a door opening into the main hall of the temple. The goddess of the First Cataract, Anuket, holding the symbol of life and the long staff which was originally surmounted by papyrus fronds, is receiving homage from Ptolemy.
French transcription: Détail du montant d'une porte donnant accès à la salle principale du temple. La déesse de la première cataracte, Anouket, tenant le signe de vie et la haute canne primitivement terminée par une ombelle de papyrus, reçoit l'hommage de Ptolémée.
Description: Relief depicting the Anuket who was the ancient Egyptian goddess of the cataracts of the Nile and Lower Nubia in general, worshipped especially at Elephantine near the First Cataract.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003071

English transcription: The Temple of Dakka.
French transcription: Le temple de Dakka.
Description: View of a part of the Temple of Dakka through an entrance.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003072

English transcription: Derr (125 miles south of Aswan, right bank). The front of the Temple of Ra-Horakhti. The temple was built during the reign of Rameses II. It is now in a bad state of preservation. The reliefs and pillars could be moved and sent to various museums.
French transcription: Derr (200 km au sud d'Assouan, rive droite) - Le pronaos du temple de Rê-Harakhti. Le temple, aujourd'hui très mutilé, fut construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Rien n'est encore prévu pour le déplacement pour le déplacement éventuel des statues et des reliefs.
Description: Photograph showing Temple of Derr ruins at 1960. It is a speos or rock-cut Egyptian temple on the right (or east) bank of the Nile. In the foreground is seen around the temple a group of boys and the temple is seen submerged in water.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003073

English transcription: Derr (125 miles south of Aswan, right bank). Bas relief from the interior of the Temple of Rameses II at the left, King Rameses II wearing the headdress known as the Nemset, worships the god Ptah in his naos; at the right, Rameses II wearing his blue leather headdress (the kheperesh), receives life from the god Amon.
French transcription: Derr (200 km au sud d'Assouan, rive droite). Temple de Ramsès II. Bas relief de l'intérieur du temple à gauche, le roi Ramsès II coiffé de la Nemset, adore le dieu Ptah (de Menphis) dans son naos; à droite, Ramsès II, coiffé du casque de peau bleue (kheperesh), recevant la vie du dieu Amon.
Description: Photograph showing the relief of Ramesses II in the temple of Derr.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003074

English transcription: Temple dedicated to Ra-Horakhti, built during the reign of Rameses II (1290-1223 B.C.). Of the twelve square pillars of the hypostyle hall, only the third row remains. The temple served as a church during the Coptic period. The reliefs and the pillars could be moved and sent to various museums.
French transcription: Temple dédié à Rê Harakhti construit sous le règne de Ramsès II (1290-1223 av. J.C.). Des 12 piliers carrés de la salle hypostyle il ne reste que la troisième rangée. Le temple a servi d'église à l'époque copte. Les reliefs et les piliers peuvent être déplacés et figureront dans divers musées.
Description: At the bottom of a hill, the water lapped remains of the Temple of Derr - a row of hypostyle hall pillars, some with visible bas-relief sculptures. At the top of the hill, 3 children are looking at the photographer, as is a man standing beside the waters of the Nile.
Location: Derr (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003075

English transcription: International campaign to save the monuments of Nubia, launched by UNESCO. The remains of the citadel church of Qasr Ibrim.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Les restes de l'église de la citadelle de Qasr Ibrim.
Description: The roofless remains of a church, notably a standing colonnade.
Location: Qasr Ibrim (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003076

English transcription: International campaign to save monuments of Nubia, launched by UNESCO. Interior of the church of the citadel of Qasr Ibrim.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. Intérieur de l'église de la citadelle de Qasr Ibrim.
Description: The roofless remains of the interior of the church of Qasr Ibrim a standing colonnade, an alcove or nave, and a floor strewn with fallen debris.
Location: Qasr Ibrim (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003077

English transcription: International campaign to save the monuments of Nubia, launched by UNESCO. The fortress of Qasr Ibrim, which was occupied until well on into the 19th century A.D.
French transcription: Campagne pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO. La forteresse de Qasr Ibrim qui a été habitée jusqu'au 19e siècle de notre ère.
Description: A bird's eye view of some of the outer walls of a fortress; and a peek over the walls to the internal amenities of the site, including a second circle of walls containing the remains of at least 2 imposing constructions. Years of desert winds have piled sand high up on the left façade of the fortress.
Location: Qasr Ibrim (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003078

English transcription: Unfinished obelisk in the granite rocks.
French transcription: Obélisque à demi taillé dans le granit.
Description: A well-worked granite quarry, surrounded by rocky, bare hills. A cracked, unfinished obelisk is on the ground, and a man - kneeling on it - is talking into a microphone linked to a tape recorder.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003079

French transcription: Les ruines du kiosque de Kartassi.
Description: Ruins of the Kiosk of Kartassi, particularly a jumble of rings and pieces of the roof-supporting columns. A sculpted face is visible on the right, and 2 men are looking at the back of the ruin.
Location: Kartassi (Nubia)

PHOTO0000003080

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level, This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. Detail of one of the pillars of the Kiosk of Trajan being reconstructed on its new site.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Détail d'un des piliers du kiosque de Trajan en cours de remontage sur son nouveau site.
Description: View of the capital of one of the pillars of the Kiosk of Trajan at Agilkia. It is encased in metalic scaffolding.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003081

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level, This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. The western colonnade being re-erected on its new site at Agilkia. It is seen here from the East.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. La grande colonnade Ouest (vue de l'Est) en cours de remontage.
Description: Island of Philae, in the foreground view from the East, the western colonnade being re-erected on its new site at Agilkia.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003082

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level, This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. Work in progress on the temple of Isis at Agilkia. On the left can be seen the Nammisi colonnade. The Nammisi is the birth house of Horus the Sun god.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Le temple d'Isis en cours de remontage à Agilkia. A gauche, colonnade du Mammisi ou Maison de la Naissance où naquit Horus le dieu-soleil.
Description: A work in progress the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis, moved from the island of Philae to that of Agilkia. The main temple portion is swathed in scaffolding.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003083

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the PHILAE temples on their new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours pour le remontage des temples de PHILAE sur leur nouveau sîte d'AGILIKIA.
Description: Workmen - with the help of a flatbed truck and a mobile crane - seem to be preparing either the removal or the delivery of parts of the Philae temples being reconstructed on Agilkia Island. A man in the background is walking with a large opened beach umbrella.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003084

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. Work in progress on the temple of Isis at Agilkia. On the left can be seen the Mammisi colonnade. The Mammisi is the birth house of Horus the Sun god.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le Gouvernement Egyptien et la Communauté Internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Le temple d'Isis en cours de remontage à Agilkia. A gauche, colonnade du Mammisi ou Maison de la Naissance où naquit Horus le dieu-soleil.
Description: A work in process the dismantled and partially reconstructed temple of Isis on Agilkia Island. The temple proper is half-way scaffolded, and its upper walls are decorated with engraved images of deities. A large crane looms over the left side of the temple.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003085

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. Work in progress for the re-erection of the temple of Isis seen here from the West.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le Gouvernement Egyptien et la Communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Le temple d'Isis en cours de remontage, vu de l'Ouest.
Description: Photograph showing the temple of Isis which was dismantled and relocated to Agilkia Island when the Nile was flooded to create the Aswan Dam. Work of re-erect of the temple in progress as seen from the West.
Location: Nubia

PHOTO0000003086

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of Philae were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of Agilkia which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress on Trajan's Kiosk.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de Philae plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'Agilkia, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours sur le kiosque de Trajan.
Description: A work in process On Philae Island, Trajan's Kiosk is being dismantled for its transfer to Agilkia. The dam surrounding Philae is visible in the background.
Location: Philae

PHOTO0000003087

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage sur l'Ile d'Agilkia. Péniche ramenant des blocs pour la reconstruction.
Description: On Agilkia Island, the unloading of a barge - by mobile crane - of building blocks of the Philae Temple of Isis.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003088

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. Work in progress on the temple of Isis on its new site at Agilkia.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Le temple d'Isis en cours de reconstruction sur l'île d'Agilkia.
Description: A work in progress A phase in the reconstruction - on Agilkia Island - of the Philae Temple of Isis. Scaffolding is dense; and several carved images of ancient Egyptian deities decorate the two towers.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003089

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage sur l'Ile d'Agilkia, Echafaudage devant le premier pylône du temple d'Isis.
Description: Scaffolding in front of the left pylon of the temple of Isis, the façade of which is ornamented with sculpted images of ancient Egyptian deities.
Location: Agilikia Island

PHOTO0000003090

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauevgarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage sur l'Ile d'Agilkia. Premier pylône du temple d'Isis.
Description: A work in progress A phase in the reconstruction of the Philae Temple of Isis on Agilkia Island. The two frontal pylons are swaddled in scaffolding.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003091

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Philae temples on their new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours pour le remontage des temples de Philae sur leur nouveau site d'Agilkia.
Description: Two workmen preparing disassembled Philae temple building blocks for reassembly on Agilkia Island.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003092

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours pour le remontage des temples de Philae sur leur nouveau site d'AGILKIA.
Description: A work in progress A crane is conveying a building block from the Philae Temple of Isis to its new site on Agilkia.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003093

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Here, a dismantled block of the temple of Isis.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ici, un bloc démonté du temple d'Isis.
Description: A dismantled block of the Temple of Isis - strapped to the hook of a crane - floating through the air.
Location: Aswan

PHOTO0000003094

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'Ile de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entrainé inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'ile voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage sur l'Ile d'Agilkia. Cour intérieure du temple d'Isis.
Description: Image - framed by metal supports - of a phase in the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis/Philae, on the Island of Agilkia. Workmen - surrounded by widely scattered stone blocks, and equipped with internal and external, mobile and standing cranes - are here primarily restoring the pavement of the temple forecourt.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003095

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In may 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island. This project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the International community alerted by UNESCO.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'ile de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entrainé inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'ile voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage du temple d'Isis sur son nouveau site d'AGILKIA.
Description: Three men are on top of a wall composed of rectangular stone blocks, covered with hieroglyphics and the headdresses of two ancient Egyptian deities. One man - being watched by a 2nd - is gesturing at a slightly off seam in the wall, and the 3rd seems to be using a crowbar to true the blocks. The counterweight arm of a large standing crane is behind them.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003096

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of PHILAE are permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threaten to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the PHILAE temples on their new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'Ile de PHILAE plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils sont soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours pour le remontage des temples de PHILAE sur leur nouveau sîte d'AGILKIA.
Description: Approximately 20 individuals sitting, standing, walking and working around a construction site. The site is supported with wooden and metal scaffoldings, and is next to the Nile, water, rocky islets and outcroppings almost surrounding it. In the far distance, is a group of white coloured buildings.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003097

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of Philae are permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threaten to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of Agilkia which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Ceremony held for the laying of the first stone on the new site at Agilkia.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de Philae plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils sont soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'Agilkia, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Cérémonie à l'occasion de la pose de la première pierre sur le nouveau site d'Agilkia.
Description: Ten suited gentlemen and a lady standing in two rows behind a long table with chairs at an outdoor ceremony. A tall standing crane is behind them.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003098

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the Island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress for the reconstruction of the Temple of Isis on its new site at AGILKIA island.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'Ile de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux de remontage sur l'Ile d'Agilkia. Détails du temple d'Isis. Pierre de granit portant l'inscription d'une donation de terres à Isis.
Description: A granite stone from the Temple of Isis, inscribed with hieroglyphics. The upper portion includes six carved figures, wearing headdresses.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003099

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of Philae are permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in water level which eat away their foundations and threaten to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of Agilkia which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress on the Temple of Isis.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de Philae plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils sont soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entraîneront inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en Mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'Agilkia, assez élevée pour toujour émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours sur le temple d'Isis.
Description: On a wooden platform in front of the partially dismantled Temple of Isis A circular segment of a carved column with a repeating pattern of hieroglyphic cartridges, and kneeling figures with raised, spread arms. A large mobile crane is in the background.
Location: Philae Island, Aswan

PHOTO0000003100

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of Philae were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which eat away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of Agilkia which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. Work in progress on the Temple of Isis.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de Philae plongent en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils sont soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usent les fondements et entrainerent inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'Agilkia, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Travaux en cours sur le Temple d'Isis blocs découpés sur l'aire de stockage.
Description: Outdoors, 2 numbered lion statues - cut from the temple of Isis at Philae - either waiting to be removed to Agilkia, or on Agilkia, waiting to be restored to the rebuilt temple.
Location: Philea or Agilkia Islands, Aswan

PHOTO0000003101

French transcription: Différents aspects des temples de Philae, reconstruits sur l'île d'Algilkia. Commencés en 1974, les travaux s'achevèrent fin 1979. Le 10 mars 1980, le nouveau site fut inauguré.
Description: Roofless portion - colonnade and walls - of a reconstructed Philae temple on Agilkia.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003102

French transcription: Différents aspects des temples de Philae, reconstruits sur l'île d'Algilkia. Commencés en 1974, les travaux s'achevèrent fin 1979. Le 10 mars 1980, le nouveau site fut inauguré.
Description: The reconstructed Philae Temple of Isis on Agilkia Island. Only the forecourt ground remains to be completed.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003103

French transcription: Différents aspects des temples de Philae, reconstruits sur l'île d'Agilkia. Commencés en 1974, les travaux s'achevèrent fin 1979. Le 10 mars 1980, le nouveau site fut inauguré.
Description: Reconstructed remains of a temple brought from Philae roofless, high-walled rectangular chamber, framed by 10 columns.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003104

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. The Western colonnade being re-erected on its new site at Agilkia.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Travaux de reconstruction sur la grande colonnade Ouest.
Description: A phase in the reconstruction of the Philae Temple of Isis on the island of Agilkia the Western colonnade - on an elevated platform - wrapped in scaffolding.
Location: Agilkia Island

PHOTO0000003105

English transcription: The international campaign for the saving of the Nubian monuments, was launched by UNESCO in 1960. Following the construction of the Aswan high dam, the monuments of the island of PHILAE were permanently flooded to a third of their height and subject to daily fluctuations in the water level which ate away their foundations and threatened to bring them down to ruins. In May 1968, it was decided to dismantle and re-erect the monuments on the neighbouring island of AGILKIA which is sufficiently elevated to be above the maximum water level. This Project has been financed by both the Egyptian Government and the international community alerted by UNESCO. The first pylon of the temple of Isis on its new site of Agilkia.
French transcription: Campagne internationale pour la sauvegarde des monuments de Nubie lancée par l'UNESCO en 1960. A la suite de la construction du haut-barrage d'Assouan, les monuments de l'île de PHILAE plongeaient en permanence dans l'eau sur un tiers environ de leur hauteur et ils étaient soumis à des variations quotidiennes de niveau qui usaient les fondements et auraient entraîné inévitablement l'effondrement de l'ensemble. C'est pourquoi il a été décidé, en mai 1968, de déplacer les monuments sur l'île voisine d'AGILKIA, assez élevée pour toujours émerger au-dessus du niveau maximum des eaux. Ce projet a été financé par le gouvernement égyptien et la communauté internationale alertée par l'UNESCO. Premier pylône du temple d'Isis remonté sur l'Ile d'Agilkia.
Description: A phase in the reconstruction of the Philae Temple of Isis on the island of Agilkia The first pylon of the temple appears to have been completed; most of the forecourt is a jumble of paving stones; and a large standing crane is in the background.
Location: Agilkia Island

Results 1 to 100 of 423