Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
- Institut international de Coopération intellectuelle. Section des Relations universitaires
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
When the IIIC was established in 1926, the “Section of General Affairs”, dealing with university questions, replaced the International Office of University Education (founded in 1923 and attached to the League of Nations Secretariat). This Section was dissolved in July 1926 and replaced by the “University Relations Section”, with Alfred Zimmern appointed as head. Zimmern held this post until 1929 when he was succeeded by Dr. Werner Picht. Zimmern also served as President of the International Bureau of Education which had been attached to the University Relations Section since 1926.
The task of the University Relations Section was to foster cooperation between universities in various countries. It encouraged the creation of university offices within the LN member states as well as exchanges between students and lecturers from around the world. It also helped to launch scholarship programs. The Section published a “Bulletin of University Relations”.
The activities of the Section ceased together with the dissolution of the Institute in 1946.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1 : IICI/27. IICI. Travaux de l'Institut international de Coopération intellectuelle pendant l'année 1926. Paris: IICI. P. 18.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1 : IICI/19. SDN. L'Institut international de Coopération intellectuelle. [brochure]. Paris : Presses universitaires de France, 1927. 32 p.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1 : IICI/01. IICI."Bulletin de la Section d'Information et de Documentation", août 1927. P. 1-2.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1 : IICI/01. IICI."Bulletin de la Section d'Information et de Documentation", juin 1928. P. 7-8.
- UNESCO Archives, Archival Group 1 : IICI/01. IICI."Bulletin de la Section d'Information et de Documentation", avril 1929. P. 201.