- 1924-1946 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Founded in 1926, the Section for Scientific Relations was concerned with topics in the sciences and with documentation (library and archives). According to article XXII of the internal regulations of the International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation (IIIC) (1925) “the aim of the Bibliography and Scientific Relations Section is to promote intellectual relations by developing the international organization of bibliography and by studying questions relating to international cooperation in the domain of science.”
This branch of the IIIC was devoted to questions of international scientific collaboration and the spread of knowledge. It maintained links with national scientific associations, organized expert meetings, launched international study committees, proposed norms for scientific editions and created science directories. In the field of libraries and archives, the Section reflected upon questions of accessibility of knowledge, organized international congresses for librarians and archivists, and suggested projects for the exchange of publications between various countries. In 1928 the Section for Scientific Relations merged with the Section for Information and Documentation to become the “Sub-Committee for Sciences and Bibliography”. It published a “Bulletin of Scientific Relations”. Its activities ended in 1946, the last head of the Scientific Relations Service was Angel Establier of Spain.