FR PUNES AG 9-WLO
- 1978 - 1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
4.6 linear meters of textual records
Name of creator
The UNESCO Liaison Office in Washington opened in May 1978 and closed down on March 31, 1986, in consequence to the withdrawal of the United States from UNESCO.
Between 1963 and 1965 there had already been a Liaison Office in Washington which mainly served to establish a co-operation programme between UNESCO and the World Bank. In 1965 this office had been transferred to the New York Liaison Office.
The Washington Office was closed in March 1986. In October 1988, the Records of the Washington Liaison Office were transferred from the External Relation Sector of UNESCO to the UNESCO Archives. On that occasion, a preliminary inventory was established.
Formerly, from 1963-1965, there was already a Liaison Office in Washington, for which no archives exist in UNESCO Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Subfonds consists of documents, reports, publications and other material from the Washington Liaison Office, covering the period May 1978 to March 1986.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
No further accruals.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Preliminary inventory from 1988 available from UNESCO Archives upon request.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
When being dissolved, the Office undertook some efforts to leave its publications collection intact, so that there would remain an integral source of information about UNESCO in Washington.
While unsuccessful in this effort, they had been able to place some parts with institutions in Washington:
- The General Conference, Executive Board and other UNESCO meeting documents were turned over to the Library of Congress Serial and Government Publications Division;
- Key reference works were given to the library of the United Nations Information Center;
- Materials on ecology and the Man and the Biosphere programme were sent to the United Nations Environmental Programme Office (UNEP);
- Communication materials were transferred to the Academy for Educational Development;
- Information on cultural preservation was donated to the US Committee of the International Council of Monuments and Sites (US/ICOMOS).
All institutions agreed to grant access to these materials.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created by Julia Pohle, August 2009. Revised, AWT, September 2009.