- 1978 - 1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The UNESCO Liaison Office in Washington opened in May 1978 and closed down on March 31, 1986, in consequence to the withdrawal of the United States from UNESCO.
Between 1963 and 1965 there had already been a Liaison Office in Washington which mainly served to establish a co-operation programme between UNESCO and the World Bank. In 1965 this office had been transferred to the New York Liaison Office.
Formerly, from 1963-1965, there was already a Liaison Office in Washington, for which no archives exist in UNESCO Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
While unsuccessful in this effort, they had been able to place some parts with institutions in Washington:
- The General Conference, Executive Board and other UNESCO meeting documents were turned over to the Library of Congress Serial and Government Publications Division;
- Key reference works were given to the library of the United Nations Information Center;
- Materials on ecology and the Man and the Biosphere programme were sent to the United Nations Environmental Programme Office (UNEP);
- Communication materials were transferred to the Academy for Educational Development;
- Information on cultural preservation was donated to the US Committee of the International Council of Monuments and Sites (US/ICOMOS).
All institutions agreed to grant access to these materials.