Showing 983 results

authority records
Corporate body

Conference of Allied Ministers of Education

  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1945

As early as 1942, in wartime, the governments of the European countries, which were confronting Nazi Germany and its allies, met in the United Kingdom for the Conference of Allied Ministers of Education (CAME). The Second World War was far from over, yet those countries were looking for ways and means to reconstruct their systems of education once peace was restored. Very quickly, the project gained momentum and soon took on a universal note. New governments, including that of the United States, decided to join in.

By midsummer 1943, the work of the Conference grew to such an extent that re-organization was necessary. From the discussion about the re-organization of the Conference, it came out that one of the objects of the reconstituted CAME would be to consider plans for the formation of a permanent organization for promoting cooperation in educational matters in the post-war period. This organization should first be confined to the United Nations, and should then - after the war - grow into an international organization.

The decision of CAME to promote the foundation of a United Nations Organization for Educational and Cultural Reconstruction found a profound echo in the public. The League of Nations Union expressed the hope that the new organization would develop into a General International Organization for education which would provide the moral and intellectual basis of the peace.

The decision was taken to convene an extraordinary Conference, which would be attended by the participating countries on an equal footing with one vote for each, for the purpose of agreeing on the creation of an international organization that would take charge of educational and cultural concerns during the reconstruction period: the United Nations Conference for the establishment of an educational and cultural organization (ECO/CONF).

Director General of UNESCO

  • Corporate body

The first Director-General of UNESCO was Julian Huxley. Since its inception, UNESCO had been headed by 10 Director-General, coming from the United Kingdom, Mexico, the United States, France, Senegal, Italy, Spain, Japan and Bulgaria. Since 2009, the Bulgarian Irina Bokova serves as UNESCO first female Director-General.

UNESCO Dakar Office

  • Corporate body
  • Since 1970

Established in 1970 to address educational planning issues in Africa South of the Sahara, BREDA, over years, extended its fields of action so much that it now covers not only other education sub-sectors but deals also with other areas of competence of the Organization: Science, Social
Sciences, Culture and Communication.

UNESCO Liaison Office in Washington

  • Corporate body
  • May 1978 - March 1986

The UNESCO Liaison Office in Washington opened in May 1978 and closed down on March 31, 1986, in consequence to the withdrawal of the United States from UNESCO.

Between 1963 and 1965 there had already been a Liaison Office in Washington which mainly served to establish a co-operation programme between UNESCO and the World Bank. In 1965 this office had been transferred to the New York Liaison Office.

UNESCO Staff Associations

  • Corporate body
  • 1947-

The first Staff association of UNESCO (STA) was established in 1947. For the first 35 years of UNESCO existence, this organisation was the only association officially recognized by the Administration as representative of the UNESCO's staff.
In 1981 another staff association emerged: the ISAU (International Staff Association of UNESCO). Both associations, the STA and ISAU represent all different groups of UNESCO Staff members and have the same functions and activities.
In 1995/96 the STA changed its name from UNESCO Staff Association into UNESCO Staff Union (STU) in order to respond to a demand of FICSA (Federation of International Civil Servants' Associations). Despite the change of name, the organisation and activities of the associations stayed the same.

Over the years, there have been several attempts to divide the existing two staff associations in order to create associations who would be responsible for only the General or Professional Staff. But none of these attempts have been successful or would have been recognized as representative for UNESCO Staff.

In 1991, a new kind of association emerged: the AFUS (Association of former UNESCO Staff) who deals with all kind of questions concerning the former Staff members of UNESCO.

UNESCO Asian Regional Institute for School Building Research

  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1973

The Asian Regional Institute for School Building Research (ARISBR) was organized through the cooperation of UNESCO and the Government of Indonesia to assist in solving the school building problems in the Region. It was created in Bandung in late 1962 with the expectation to last for ten years. On 1 January 1965, the President of Indonesia announced that Indonesia is withdrawing from the United Nations and most of its agencies, one of which was UNESCO. This meant that ARISBR had to be located in another country and was temporarily moved to Bangkok, on 1 June 1965. It finally moved to Colombo, Sri Lanka and closed its door in 1973.

UNESCO Bangkok Office

  • Corporate body
  • Since 1961

The UNESCO office in Bangkok was established in 1961 as the Asian Regional Office for Primary and Compulsory Education. The Office was later extended to cover all divisions of the education sector and the countries of the Pacific region.
Further growth included the incorporation of activities relating to the culture, communication, and social and human science sectors, which led to the eventual renaming of the office as the Principal Regional Office for Asia and Pacific (PROAP) in 1987.
At the beginning of 2002, the UNESCO office in Bangkok assumed two roles. As the Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education, it is the technical advisory body to all field offices and Member States of the region and the site of regional programmes in most areas covered by the Education Sector.
As the cluster office, the UNESCO office in Bangkok is also the principal coordinator of UNESCO activities, across sectors, in the Mekong region - directly in Thailand, Myanmar and Lao PDR and indirectly in support of UNESCO country offices in Viet Nam and Cambodia.
UNESCO Bangkok also houses regional advisory units in Culture and Social and Human Sciences and staff from the Communication and Information Sector and the Science Sector.
In 2007, Singapore joined UNESCO as the 193rd Member State and become a member of UNESCO Bangkok cluster office.

UNESCO-CEPES

  • Corporate body
  • Since 1972

UNESCO-CEPES (the European Centre for Higher Education/Centre Européen pour l'Enseignement Supérieur) was established in September 1972 with a view to promoting co-operation in higher education among Member States of the Europe Region (the countries of Europe, North America, and Israel). The creation of such a centre was recommended at the Sixteenth Session of the General Conference of UNESCO which was held in the autumn of 1970. Specifically, in November of that year, the Government of Romania officially invited UNESCO to set up the Centre in Bucharest. The Director-General accepted the offer in principle, pending the outcome of negotiations relative to the legal basis and the conditions under which the Centre would be housed and would operate. These conditions were spelled out in an Accord de siège signed on 12 June 1972 and in an Annex to this Accord signed on 21 September 1972.

UNESCO Regional School Building Center for Latin America and the Caribbean

  • Corporate body
  • 1963-1984

In 1961, UNESCO established an educational facilities section at Headquarters and three regional school building centres in Africa, Asia, and in Latin America and the Caribbean, in parallel to the educational policy and planning units. To strengthen the multidisciplinary approach of educational projects, in 1973 the Asian and African regional centres, as well as the policy and planning units, were integrated into the Regional Offices for Education. However, the Educational Building Centre for Latin America and the Caribbean (CONESCAL), established in Mexico in co-operation with the Organization of American States continued to function until 1984.

Conference of the Establishment of UNESCO

  • Corporate body
  • 1 to 16 November 1945

The United Nations Conference for the establishment of an educational and cultural organization (ECO/CONF) was convened in London from 1 to 16 November 1945. Scarcely had the war ended when the conference opened. It gathered together the representatives of forty-four countries. Spurred on by France and the United Kingdom, two countries that had known great hardship during the conflict, the delegates decided to create an organization that would embody a genuine culture of peace. In their eyes, the new organization must establish the “intellectual and moral solidarity of mankind” and, in so doing, prevent the outbreak of another world war.

At the end of the conference, thirty-seven countries founded the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

UNESCO Field Offices, Institutes and Centres

  • Corporate body
  • 1946-

The first General Conference decided in 1946 to establish four Science Co-operation Offices in China, India, Middle East and Latin America. These offices were set up in 1947 and the network of what were later to be called “regional offices” has been extended ever since to cover all regions in the world. After 40 years of existence, in 1986, there were 27 offices of UNESCO Representatives, 2 Regional Coordinators and 23 Regional and Sub-Regional Advisers. In 2009, about 700 staff members work in UNESCO's 58 field offices around the world.

In addition to regional offices, UNESCO has helped to set up or supported otherwise numerous Centres with an international or regional character, and also centres and institutes working on the national basis, in agreement with the host country or countries or the region.
From the very beginning, UNESCO’s presence in the Field was also assured by temporary missions sent out from Headquarters or Field offices. They consisted either of a team of experts and consultants or individuals, who travelled to Member States upon their invitation to study questions in UNESCO’s competence, to work on the execution of a development project and formulate recommendations to be addressed to the Governments in the name of UNESCO.

In 1961, the Executive Board decided to designate posts of UNESCO Chiefs of Mission to be counterparts to Resident Representatives of the Technical Assistance programmes and to co-ordinate and be responsible for all UNESCO projects in a country (60 EX/Dec.9.1). In 1976, these posts were changed into UNESCO Representatives: they were usually responsible for a group of countries or a subregion. In the budget for 1981-1983 posts of “Regional Co-ordinators” were established, who were to be high-level officials responsible for a whole region. The post was tied usually with the post of the Director of a Regional Office.

Since 1951, but especially during the 1970ies, the Regional Offices were developed in a multidisciplinary direction since posts of regional or sub-regional advisors were attached to them in field which were not originally in the competence of the Office in question.

Since 1970, when the General Conference adopted a resolution on it (16 C/Res.10), decentralization became a constant subject of debate. UNESCO's decentralization policy seeks to ensure that UNESCO designs and implements programs that, although global in scope, are adapted to the needs and specific circumstances of Member States. UNESCO's Decentralization Action Plan groups Member States for service by a global network of multi-disciplinary Cluster Offices, National Offices, Regional Bureaus and Liaison Offices. The Bureau of Field Coordination is responsible for ensuring the smooth implementation of this new field network and provides a clear, single line of management.

Intergovernmental Bureau of Informatics

  • Corporate body
  • 1961-1988

The Intergovernmental Bureau of Informatics was created, with the name International Computation Center, under the auspices of the United Nations and UNESCO by an international Convention signed on December 6, 1951 in Paris. The Resolutions concerning the establishment of this body were taken by the United Nations and UNESCO in 1946, 1948, 1950 and 1951. The International Computation Center was transformed in three stages (1969-70: reorganization, 1971-72: consolidation, and from 1978 on expansion). into the IBI in order to react to the technological evolution in the field.
The IBI had 38 member states which were members either of the United Nations, or of UNESCO, or of one of the other Specialized Agencies of the United Nations.
At its sixth extraordinary session, held in Rome on 28 and 29 November 1988, the General Assembly, by resolution R.6E/09 decided that IBI would cease to exist as from 30 November.
Dissolution had been made inevitable due to a series of difficulties encountered by IBI with regard to both its programme activities and its own organizational management and administration. These difficulties led to the successive withdrawal of several Member States from 1985 onwards, in particular the three main contributors (France, Spain and Italy) which deprived IBI of all its funding. Lacking resources, and in the throes of an unprecedented administrative crisis, with a temporary Board of Management acting as a Directorate, IBI was dissolved after 26 years spent in promoting co-operation in informatics.

UNESCO Jakarta Office

  • Corporate body
  • Since 1951

The Office was established in 1951 as the UNESCO Field Office for Southeast Asian Science Co-operation (SEASCO). In 1967, it became the Regional Office for Science and 1967 Technology for Southeast Asia (ROSTSEA). In 1993, it was renamed the UNESCO Jakarta Office in keeping with the house-wide policy on office names.
In 2001, the UNESCO Office in Jakarta became Regional Science Bureau for Asia and the Pacific, and Office of the UNESCO Representative to Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines
In 2002, the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste (East Timor) signed the Instrument of Acceptance for Membership of UNESCO (31 October 2002).

UNESCO Venice Office

  • Corporate body
  • Since 1973

Following the disastrous floods of 1966 in Venice and Florence and the Italian Government's invitation one year later for UNESCO to play an international action, the Liaison Office for the Safeguarding of Venice was established in 1973 on the occasion of the UNESCO International Campaign for the Safeguarding of Venice.
UNESCO Scientific Co-operation Bureau for Europe (SC/BSE) was established in 1972 as a separate unit attached to the office of the Assistant Director General for Sciences of UNESCO's Secretariat in Paris. In 1988, following the proposal of the Italian Government to host and support the activities of the Bureau for Scientific Co-operation, the Bureau was relocated to Venice, Italy and renamed as Regional Office for Science & Technology for Europe(ROSTE).
Thanks to the substantial financial and logistical support provided by the Italian National Research Council (CNR) on behalf of the Italian Government, UNESCO ROSTE started its activities in 1989.
Ten years later, within the frame of UNESCO's field strategy set out in the Decentralization Action Plan, UNESCO Bureau in Venice was renamed Regional Bureau for Science in Europe while maintaining its acronym ROSTE.
In 2002, UNESCO established a single office in Palazzo Zorzi with the mandate to achieve UNESCO’s and Member States’ goals in the fields of science and culture.
In order better to reflect the scope of action of the UNESCO Office in Venice and after consultation with the Italian Government, UNESCO Director General on 27 March 2006 decided that this Office will henceforth be named the “UNESCO Office in Venice - UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe” (BRESCE).

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. Administration and Finance Department

  • Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics
  • Corporate body
  • 1962-1988

The Department of Administration and Finances oversaw the organization's administration activities linked to human resources as well as its financial activities, including the offices of the Comptroller and the Treasury. The Department was also responsible for overseeing the general services of the Organization. The Department existed since the beginning of the organization until its liquidation (1961 to 1988). For most of its existence, Corrado Ferantelli was its Director.

FIDI - Fond de l'IBI pour le développement de l'informatique

  • UNESCO
  • Corporate body
  • 1980

Le fonds de l'IBI pour le développement de l'informatique (FIDI) fut un projet énoncé par le directeur général de l'IBI, Fermin Bernasconi, à l'occasion de la 10ème session ordinaire de l'Assemblée générale de l'organisation. Le projet consistait en la création d'un fond permanent destiné à financer et l'accord de prêts à taux avantageux aux pays en voie de développement, pour la réalisation de projets informatiques. Il fut demandé au directeur général de l'IBI la présentation d'un rapport sur la création de cette institution, présenté à l'Assemblée générale suivante.

Le projet prévoyait notamment un statut d'indépendance du fond vis-à-vis de l'IBI.

Il fut rédigé un projet de status et de réglement du FIDI.

Le FIDI demeura à l'état de projet et ne fut jamais opérationnel.

UNESCO. Natural Sciences Sector

  • Corporate body
  • In different administrative set-ups since 1946

The ‘S’ has been an integral part of UNESCO from its foundation in 1945. In 60 years of existence, UNESCO has acted as a catalyst for the establishment of many, now leading scientific unions and bodies such as the World Conservation Union (IUCN, 1948), and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN, 1954) which saw the development of the internet. Initiatives with far-reaching implications for sustainable human security and well-being – such as the Man and the Biosphere programme, the World Heritage sites and the International Hydrological Programme – were launched in the first thirty years of UNESCO’s history.

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. Cabinet of the Director General

  • Corporate body

The Cabinet of the Director-General most notably had responsibility for relations with member and non-member states, as well as relations with governmental and non-governmental organizations that may or may not have had cooperation agreements with the IBI.

Dating at least from 1982, Mohsen Boudegga was the Director of the Cabinet.

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. Latin America Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1986-1988

The Latin America Department was created after a reorganization of the Cooperation Department in 1986. The Latin American Department inherited the responsibilities of the Cooperation Department for the geographic zone of South America and the Caribbean. It also inherited responsibility for coordination activities with the Regional Centre in Mexico (CREALC) which were formerly carried out by the External Relations service.

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. Policies Department

  • Corporate body

One of the principal functions of the Department of Policies was to organize IBI’s major meetings on informatics policies and to participate in similar external activities. For example, the Department was particularly involved in the organization of: conferences on Transborder Data Flows; the SPINDE conference; and, IBI collaboration with the Cali and Yamoussoukro groups. In conjuction with the Director-general, the Department defined the policy vision or 'Doctrine' for the Organization. In keeping with this task, it carried out policy development activities through these meetings as well as through collaborations with other interested external actors.

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. Projects Department

  • Corporate body

The Department of Projects coordinated technology transfer projects between institutions wishing to make a contribution of expert technical knowledge to developing countries. The aim was to create local autonomous institutions. The Department was directed by Carlos Piattini who was behind projects related to juridical information technology, the arabization of information technology, a presidential dashboard or interface system, and different administrative databases.

Intergovernmental Bureau for Informatics. International Institute for the Development of Informatics

  • Corporate body
  • 1984-1988

The International Institute for the Development of Informatics (IBIDI) was created based on a resolution made in the 10th session of the IBI General Assembly, held in Rome from 21-25 June 1982. Following the signature of agreements between the IBI and the Italian government, the IBIDI was established in the Centre for Studies and Advanced Technology Applications (Centro studi ed applicazioni in technologie avanzate - CSATA) in the Techopolis complex in Valenzano (Bari), Italy. It began operations in 1985.

The IBIDI sought to train professionals in informatics so that they could occupy key decision-making posts in their country. The aim was to prepare professionals to anticipate technological evolution and to facilitate knowledge transfer between IBI member countries. The institute also undertook research programs in order to diseminate new technologies as information management tools for the economic, technical and social fields.

National Commissions for intellectual cooperation

  • Corporate body
  • 1922-1946

The National Commissions for intellectual cooperation began to be established in 1922-1923, following a CICI study on the conditions of intellectual workers. National Commissions, affiliated with the CICI, were national working groups responsible for questions on intellectual cooperation in their respective countries. They were composed of intellectuals who were initially charged with alerting the CICI to the post-war situation and needs with respect to intellectual cooperation in their respective countries. The National Commissions evolved to play a liaison role between the CICI and their national institutions. The Commissions had varied statuses in their states: governmental, semi-governmental, or private (for the majority). By 1940, 40 National Commissions were operating. The Commissions ceased their activities during the Second World War, and then briefly recommenced their activities in 1946, avant que l'IICI ne disparaisse.

International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation. Committee of Directors

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-1946

The International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation (IIIC) was directed by two bodies: the Governing Body and the Committee of Directors. The Committee of Directors (or Director’s Committee) was composed of five individuals of different nationalities as well as the Director of the IIIC. Its members were appointed by the Governing Body with the approval of the Council of the League of Nations (LN) [article 5 of the Internal Regulations of 1925]. They served five year terms and could be re-elected once. At the discretion of the Governing Body, there could be up to three deputy members of the Committee of Directors.

The Committee of Directors was responsible for executing the program settled by the Governing Body, each year. It was also able propose projects to the Governing Body and, given that the Governing Body only met once a year, the Committee executed any projects that they considered useful for the activities of the IIIC [article X of the Internal Regulations of the IIIC]. The Committee of Directors met every two months, but could also be called in at special occasions by the Director of the IIIC.

The Committee of Directors nominated the functionaries of the IIIC [article 10 of the Internal Regulations of 1925] and created, subject to approval by the Governing Body, the auxiliary services that helped the Sections of the IIIC in various matters [article 18 of the Internal Regulations of the IIIC].

International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation. University Relations Section

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1946

When the IIIC was established in 1926, the “Section of General Affairs”, dealing with university questions, replaced the International Office of University Education (founded in 1923 and attached to the League of Nations Secretariat). This Section was dissolved in July 1926 and replaced by the “University Relations Section”, with Alfred Zimmern appointed as head. Zimmern held this post until 1929 when he was succeeded by Dr. Werner Picht. Zimmern also served as President of the International Bureau of Education which had been attached to the University Relations Section since 1926.

The task of the University Relations Section was to foster cooperation between universities in various countries. It encouraged the creation of university offices within the LN member states as well as exchanges between students and lecturers from around the world. It also helped to launch scholarship programs. The Section published a “Bulletin of University Relations”.

The activities of the Section ceased together with the dissolution of the Institute in 1946.

European Organization for Nuclear Research

  • Corporate body
  • 1954-09-29 -

“The Convention establishing the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) was approved by 12 Member States at the 6th session of the Provisional CERN Council in Paris, 29 June - 1 July 1953, and entered into force on 29 September 1954, when sufficient ratifications of the Convention were obtained from the Member States. Hence, 29 September 1954 is the date when CERN came officially into being.”
“The first ideas for international laboratories were put forward as early as 1946 within the United Nations Organization. It was not until December 1949 that this focused on achieving European collaboration in nuclear physics: a commission of the European Cultural Conference held in Lausanne from the 8th to 12th of that month proposed the creation of a European Institute for nuclear science. The next major step in this direction was the voting of a resolution proposed at the fifth General Conference of UNESCO, in Florence on 7 June 1950. This was followed by a more explicit resolution made at a meeting in Geneva on 12 December 1950 at the Centre Européen de la Culture. The resolution recommended that a laboratory be established based on the construction of a large machine for accelerating elementary particles. Signature, by eleven States, of the Agreement constituting a "Council of Representatives of European States for Planning an International Laboratory and Organizing Other Forms of Co-operation in Nuclear Physics" was performed on 15 February 1952 at the second session of the intergovernmental conference, held in Geneva. The task of the Council and its executive was to draw up plans for the new laboratory and its equipment, and to draft an intergovernmental convention to place the organization on a permanent footing. By February 1952 two strong candidates had emerged for the location of the organization: Geneva and Copenhagen. By the end of July the French and Dutch governments had also offered sites in Paris and Arnhem respectively. The Council met for the first time in May 1952 and the Geneva location was finally agreed upon at the third Council session. Great Britain did not sign the 1952 Agreement establishing the provisional CERN but joined, on 1 July 1953, the eleven States who were party to the Agreement in Paris to approve the text of the Convention and the Financial Protocol annexed thereto. The Convention establishing the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the protocol were open for signature until the 31 December 1953. The Convention came into force on 29 September 1954 when the instruments of ratification of seven of the Member States were deposited at UNESCO House in Paris.
“CERN’s goals were set out in Article II of The Convention Establishing the European Organization for Nuclear Research: "The Organization shall provide for collaboration among European States in nuclear research of a pure scientific and fundamental character, and in research essentially related thereto. The Organization shall have no concern with work for military requirements and the results of its experimental and theoretical work shall be published or otherwise made generally available".
The Convention also states that CERN shall organize and sponsor international co-operation in research, promoting contacts between scientists and interchange with other laboratories and institutes. This includes dissemination of information, and the provision of advanced training for research workers, which continue to be reflected in the current programmes for technology transfer and education and training at many levels.
"The revised edition of the Convention and the Financial Protocol annexed thereto, dated 18 January 1971, embodies amendments which have subsequently been adopted by the Council of the Organization. See:<a href="http://council.web.cern.ch/council/en/Governance/Convention.html">http://council.web.cern.ch/council/en/Governance/Convention.html</a>(Guide to the Archives of International Organizations, 2011).

United Nations

  • Corporate body
  • 1945/10/24 -

"The United Nations was a name devised by the late President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It was first used in the Declaration by United Nations of 1 January 1942 when 26 nations pledged to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers. The United Nations Charter was drawn up by the representatives of countries at the United Nations Conference on International Organization, San Francisco, 25 April-26 June 1945, and was based on proposals worked out earlier at Dumbarton Oaks in Washington D.C. by representatives of China, the USSR, the United Kingdom and the United States in August-October 1944. The Charter was signed on 26 June 1945. The United Nations officially came into existence on 24 October 1945 when the Charter was ratified by China, France, the USSR, the United Kingdom and the United States, and by a majority of other signatories. United Nations Day is celebrated on 24 October each year" (Guide to the Archives of International Organizations).

HOPE '87

  • Corporate body

International Institute of Intellectual Cooperation. Information Section

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-1946

The Information Section operated from 1925 until 1946. According to article XXV of the internal regulations of the IIIC of 1925, “the Information Section reports to the public about the activities of the Institute. It is also concerned with technical questions relating to the international spread of knowledge and ideas (the problem of books, the circulation of prints, etc.).”
Its primary goal was to make IIIC activities known to the public by means of international press reports. The Section therefore maintained connections to daily and periodical papers in various countries and corresponded with associations of journalists, editors, librarians, and authors. It sent regular digests of IIIC news to the daily press and published a bulletin. The Section also studied the activities of worldwide press agencies and the means to make them collaborate. In 1926 it drew up a project for an international press directory. The Section also organized and hosted journalist meetings at the IIIC in Paris.

The Information Section of the IIIC collected lists of “remarkable works” (a predecessor of UNESCO’s “Catalogue of Representative Works”), drawn up by National Commissions of Intellectual Cooperation in various countries, and facilitated their publication. It investigated, in collaboration with editors, the obstacles in the worldwide spreading of books, gathered experts on this topic, and produced statistics on the sale of books. The question of the spread of knowledge was connected to broadcasting, too, which the Information Section also covered. The Section edited reports on broadcasting and maintained contact with the World Broadcasting Union.

As part of these efforts, the IIIC sent a delegate to the 1928 press exhibition in Cologne, cooperated with the ILO on the condition of work for journalists, and cooperated with various national and international associations for radio journalism. From 1930 until 1937, the IIIC collaborated with the International Federation of Journalists. The IIIC also sent a delegate to the 1933 Congress of journalists in Madrid. Its first chief in 1925 was the Italian Guiseppe Prezzolini, who was assisted by an assistant and several referents.

The activities of the Section ceased together with the dissolution of the Institute in 1946.

Results 1 to 100 of 983